all nxne-logo-2012-words

Published on May 29th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Get Thee To Toronto: NXNE 2012 Preview

From June 11-17, Toron­to will play host to one of the most an­tic­i­pat­ed sum­mer events in Cana­da, and one of the largest gath­er­ing of bands in North Amer­i­ca. Just look­ing at the list can be over­whelm­ing, but we’ll lay out the num­bers: 650 bands across 50 stages, 40 films, and sev­er­al days of in­ter­ac­tive pre­sen­ta­tions com­bine to cre­ate an event that we’re im­mense­ly look­ing for­ward to.

The Flam­ing Lips are head­lin­ing at NXNE 2012, but oth­er big acts in­clude Raek­won and Ghost­face Kil­lah, Of Mon­tre­al, Bad Re­li­gion, and one that should be high on your list, Por­tu­gal. The Man. There are even some groups that might bring back a wave of nos­tal­gia- Bran Van 3000, for in­stance. In­die lovers, fear not- check out the ethe­re­al driv­ing of Grass Wid­ow, or the elec­tron­ic pop band that is sup­posed to be great live, Pu­ri­ty Ring.

On the In­ter­ac­tive side, look for ses­sions like “My An­ti is Big­ger Than Your Cen­sor­ship” from Saman Arbabi, who co-cre­at­ed and co-hosts the Ira­ni­an ver­sion of The Dai­ly Show. Oth­ers cov­er top­ics like “Dat­ing in a Dig­i­tal World”, the “Fu­ture of the Mu­sic Video”, “How to Start a Start-up”, mo­bile pho­tog­ra­phy, Cana­di­an copy­right law, so­cial me­dia mar­ket­ing for non-prof­its, and dig­i­tal sto­ry­telling. The guys be­hind gross-out food videos EpicMeal­Time will be there, as will a wide range of en­trepreneurs, vi­su­al artists, film­mak­ers, and oth­er as­sort­ed cre­ative types.

And don’t for­get the movies. Irvine Welsh will show up to in­tro­duce a movie based on his book Ec­sta­sy, and we’re in­trigued by the hu­man-smug­gling mu­sic-doc­u­men­tary Fu­givites: Wax Live. A film about black Is­raelis KMS – Jew­ish Ne­groes is hav­ing its Cana­di­an pre­miere, as does the film Mas­ter Plan, which is sum­ma­rized thus: “The man tries to kill him­self. Ev­ery time he tries it, an an­gel keeps
him from do­ing, by show­ing him the sim­ple plea­sures in life. Lit­tle does he know that he has a pur­pose in life.” Plus, we can’t help but be cu­ri­ous about the film “The His­to­ry Of Swedish Hard Rock And Heavy Met­al”.

Tick­ets for all days and events were avail­able at press time, and we rec­om­mend tak­ing a care­ful look at the sched­ule to fig­ure out how best to plan your days. Prices are quite rea­son­able (stu­dent pric­ing is avail­able), as are air­fares and ac­com­mo­da­tions. With any luck, we won’t have the is­sues that made for a frus­trat­ing SXSW, and look for­ward to bring­ing you cov­er­age from the fes­ti­val it­self. See you in Toron­to in a cou­ple of weeks!

Tags: , , , , ,