all main

Published on June 21st, 2012 | by Greg

0

Prepare For CBGB: 300 Bands In Four Days

We’re just back from NXNE, where the line­up fea­tured more than a dozen shows si­mul­ta­ne­ous­ly at some points. And just as we’re catch­ing our col­lec­tive breath from the film and in­ter­ac­tive and mu­sic over­load, the CBGB Fes­ti­val is com­ing to take it away again. Run­ning from Ju­ly 5th to 8th, this event looks to of­fer some­thing for ev­ery mu­sic fan. Par­tic­i­pat­ing venues are spread through­out the city, from big ones like Cen­tral Park’s Sum­mer­Stage and the High­line Ball­room, the Knit­ting Fac­to­ry and Lit­tle­field in Brook­lyn, Web­ster Hall, Bow­ery Elec­tric, and Brook­lyn Bowl.

The list of acts keeps grow­ing it seems, but con­firmed groups in­clude some amaz­ing live bands: Su­per­chunk, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Guid­ed By Voic­es, Fish­bone, MX­PX, So­phie Madeleine, and many more. It’s a pret­ty good line­up, and the best part is that you can see them all for one price- an all-ac­cess mu­sic pass costs on­ly $79, about the price to see a sin­gle big-name tour­ing con­cert.

But it’s not just mu­sic- there’s a film sec­tion as well, with a tight fo­cus on doc­u­men­taries and mu­sic-ori­ent­ed pro­gram­ming. Bios on The Ra­mones, The Clash, Dandy Warhols, John Lennon, Wilco, Pat­ti Smith, The Re­place­ments, Kurt Cobain, and the oth­ers screen through­out the event. But sev­er­al oth­ers caught our eye- Ex­it Through The Gift Shop is great (though wide­ly avail­able), and two films on the his­to­ry of punk look like sol­id bets. In­di­vid­u­al tick­ets will be avail­able start­ing on Mon­day, or you can buy a pass for $159 that al­so in­cludes ac­cess to a wide range of sem­i­nars and train­ing work­shops cov­er­ing top­ics like “Eleven Things You Need To Know To Shoot A Mu­si­cal Per­for­mance” and ses­sions on fundrais­ing and scor­ing.

Fi­nal­ly, and in­trigu­ing­ly, there is al­so a “spir­its fest” be­ing held! Not many de­tails are yet avail­able, but we hear talk of craft brew­ers and ar­ti­san dis­til­leries show­ing off their craft. Be­cause, re­al­ly, it’d be sad to fea­ture so much live mu­sic and not find a way to in­clude li­ba­tions. Pass­es for all por­tions of the fes­ti­val are avail­able now, and are cheap­er in ad­vance than at the door. The orig­i­nal CBGB might be closed, but it’s clear that the spir­it lives on. Join us for four days of fun in Man­hat­tan this sum­mer!

Tags: , , , ,