all policeman_final_300

Published on July 7th, 2012 | by Greg

0

The Last Policeman: A Pre-Apocalyptic Novel

Imag­ine that the world was go­ing to end. And ev­ery­one knew it. What would hap­pen? Plen­ty of books dis­cuss what comes af­ter­wards- zom­bies or peak oil or even the world spin­ning more slow­ly- but not many talk about what might hap­pen to so­ci­ety if we see the end in sight. The world is six months from the im­pact of an as­ter­oid, and the un­rav­el­ing has be­gun. Take a fair­ly clas­sic noir po­lice / de­tec­tive sto­ry, and set it against the back­drop, and you’ve got a good sense of to­day’s ti­tle.

The Last Po­lice­man comes out in a few days (Quirk Books, 288 pages, pa­per­back), and it’s worth a read. Au­thor Ben Win­ters paints a de­cent pic­ture, and moves things along, all the while keep­ing you guess­ing. Is it a vast con­spir­a­cy, tipped off by what looks like “just an­oth­er sui­cide”? What pieces don’t fit? Does it even mat­ter?

With­out giv­ing any­thing away, we can safe­ly say that the end­ing will dis­ap­point some peo­ple, and maybe that’s the way it has to be. You should know, go­ing in, that this book is the first in a planned tril­o­gy. The char­ac­ters aren’t par­tic­u­lar­ly in­ter­est­ing- well-drawn, they are nonethe­less pret­ty archetyp­i­cal. But there is plen­ty of com­e­dy to be found, in ev­ery shade from light to very, grim­ly dark. And it’s all well thought-through, with a clever eye for de­tails, even if the machi­na­tions and scope don’t quite match the vi­sion.

A light beach read? Per­haps not. But sol­id, in­volv­ing, and even mov­ing nonethe­less. Avail­able short­ly, for around $10!

Tags: , , ,