all q25_angle_web_lg

Published on September 20th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Alesis Q25: Cute, Easy USB and MIDI Keyboard

Full-sized keys. Ve­loc­i­ty sen­si­tive. Eas­i­ly con­nect to any com­put­er via MI­DI or USB- and it even works with the iPad with no ex­tra pow­er ca­ble need­ed. Portable and su­per-light at four and a half pounds, we’ve got the per­fect mu­si­cal in­stru­ment for the elec­tron­ic pi­ano lover who wants a con­troller that can fit in a small space but still of­fers plen­ty of fea­tures at a rea­son­able price.

The Ale­sis Q25 is, as you might sus­pect, a 25-note key­board con­troller that re­quires on­ly a sin­gle USB con­nec­tion for da­ta and pow­er, or can be used with an op­tion­al ex­ter­nal pow­er sup­ply. No bat­ter­ies need­ed, which means a lighter weight, but no built-in-speak­ers. Us­ing the in­clud­ed ca­ble and the iPad Cam­era Con­nec­tion Kit, we were able to get it up and run­ning in Garage­Band and oth­er apps with­in a minute.

Fig­ur­ing out how to use the ex­tra func­tions took a bit more time: there are handy pitch and mod­u­la­tion wheels, as well as oc­tave change but­tons that let you move up and down the scale as need­ed. Plus, the keys feel sol­id and re­spon­sive- even if the unit it­self is a bit pla­s­ticky, the im­por­tant parts felt durable over some se­ri­ous playtests.

The Ale­sis Q25 does in­clude some soft­ware- Able­ton Live Lite- so you can get your PC up and record­ing, se­quenc­ing, and per­form­ing right out of the box. And the keys can ac­tu­al­ly be as­signed to oth­er func­tions as well, though they aren’t pro­grammable re­al­ly- there is no “record” but­ton or oth­er con­trols that we might have liked. Com­pat­i­ble with most pro­grams and soft­ware pack­ages out there, we tried it on both Win­dows 7 and Mac OSX as well, with no re­al is­sues. There isn’t a car­ry­ing case in­clud­ed, but at this price, it’s hard to ask for more: $70 is a great deal on this, one of the few small key­boards with a MI­DI port and that can be eas­i­ly pow­ered via the iPad it­self over USB.

Tags: , , , , ,