all les_4x6

Published on September 25th, 2012 | by Greg

0

NY_Hearts: Neighborhood Drama, Featuring You

New York is a city of neigh­bor­hoods. From Chi­na­town and Lit­tle Italy to the East and West Vil­lages, the places and peo­ple vary wide­ly. It’s al­so a city of out­sized pro­por­tions, where it’s easy to get lost, and where a mil­lion lit­tle dra­mas place out each day in the shops and restau­rants and streets. Vis­i­tors to a new neigh­bor­hood- whether they are com­ing from across the town, an­oth­er bor­ough, or from the oth­er side of the globe- can find it hard to know where to look and what to do. Hence the rise of “tour” apps for your smart­phone, like Move­able Feast, that al­low you to down­load ex­pe­ri­ences and fol­low a pre-chart­ed course us­ing your iOS de­vice.

But what if you could com­bine these tours with a sto­ry- a frame around which to ex­plore a new area and try out new things? Im­pos­si­ble to cat­e­go­rize, but easy to love, it’s an ex­cit­ing con­cept. And it’s the pitch be­hind NY_­Hearts and their amaz­ing first edi­tion, which fo­cused on the Low­er East Side. The Move­able Feast app it­self is free, and you can down­load the NY_­Hearts:LES tour and check it out for your­self at no cost to get an idea of how it works. But the ‘pro­duc­tion’ part is over, af­ter a suc­cess­ful lim­it­ed run in Ju­ly.

We can’t wait to check out fu­ture edi­tions- and cre­ator James Carter has clued us in to the next spot. Open­ing next Spring, he’ll be bring­ing a com­plete­ly new sto­ry and tour to the love­ly neigh­bor­hood of Park Slope, Brook­lyn. Much like the orig­i­nal, we’ve been in­formed that it will in­clude a va­ri­ety of fun ac­tiv­i­ties and stops, and we hope to hear a bit more about it at the New York Film Fes­ti­val. Mr. Carter is giv­ing a talk on Septem­ber 30th as part of the NYFF’s ‘Con­ver­gence’ track, at 10:30 am at the Howard Gilman The­ater. Ti­tled ‘Work in Progress’, it’ll be a con­ver­sa­tion about both the pre­vi­ous tour and the next one (and men­tions a pos­si­ble third still to come, and a web se­ries)!

To ex­pe­ri­ence NY_­Hearts: LES our­selves, we set aside sev­en hours on a Sun­day and trav­eled to a yo­ga stu­dio to meet up and be­gin our jour­ney- start­ing with an hour-long yo­ga class. Joined by a bunch of oth­er folks on the ‘tour’, we were free to ex­pe­ri­ence it at our own pace, walk­ing around a num­ber of stops and lis­ten­ing to our smart­phone app “guide” be­tween each one. In­stead of a dry ex­pla­na­tion of the dif­fer­ent places, the au­dio in­stead told a very per­son­al sto­ry, a set of di­aries about and from Jill. Cov­er­ing a tu­mul­tuous re­la­tion­ship, this was a great date ex­pe­ri­ence, though def­i­nite­ly wasn’t ap­pro­pri­ate for kids- parts of it were very adult, in the way ma­ture re­la­tion­ships and tur­moils are. Not ev­ery seg­ment worked, but tak­en as a whole, it was an in­cred­i­bly mem­o­rable- and pow­er­ful- day.

Part voyeuris­tic, well-pro­duced au­di­o­logue, part neigh­bor­hood ex­plo­ration, NY_­Hearts felt tru­ly new. It in­spired fierce con­ver­sa­tion, threw you in­to in­ter­est­ing sit­u­a­tions with oth­er peo­ple, and forced ev­ery par­tic­i­pant to be both a pas­sive ob­serv­er and to take an ac­tive role. Parts re­quired imag­i­na­tion- pic­tur­ing Jill walk­ing around- but parts of it were very phys­i­cal in a way that no oth­er the­ater ex­pe­ri­ence (per­haps save Sleep No More) has matched. You’ll walk- many blocks- and wind up with sou­venirs of your tour. You’ll eat a meal (we loved brunch at the Fat Radish), and nev­er have to wor­ry since ev­ery­thing is in­clud­ed in the cost of the tour (ex­cept tips). We wound up near­ly in tears in the mid­dle of a bridge, and sip­ping beers (again, in­clud­ed) while dis­cussing the play with oth­er folks who were as de­light­ed as we were. There were stops at an art gallery and a cof­fee shop, cute busi­ness­es per­haps easy to over­look- but now per­ma­nent­ly seared in­to our per­son­al map of the city.

When NY_­Hearts opens again, we strong­ly sug­gest grab­bing a friend and go­ing. It’s worth ev­ery pen­ny- and it’s a New York ex­pe­ri­ence that de­fies com­par­i­son.

Tags: , , , , , ,