all comic_con

Published on October 12th, 2012 | by Greg

0

New York Comic Con: This Weekend!

If you don’t al­ready have your tick­ets or pass­es, you might be out of luck. But if you planned ahead, and pre­vi­ous­ly pur­chased your ad­mis­sion en­trance to one of this year’s biggest events, then we look for­ward to see­ing you (and your cos­tume) on the show floor. Be­cause this week­end- ac­tu­al­ly, start­ing Thurs­day and run­ning through Sun­day, Oc­to­ber 11th-14th- we’ll be join­ing the throngs of peo­ple who vis­it the Jav­its Cen­ter each year for a cel­e­bra­tion of all things geeky.

That’s right- it’s time for New York Com­ic Con, the sec­ond-largest gath­er­ing of it’s kind in the Unit­ed States and one of the biggest in the world. Last year, over 105,000 peo­ple at­tend­ed, and this year is posed to be sim­i­lar in size. The show has al­ready sold out, as men­tioned, though pass­es might be avail­able through Craigslist and we hear that some are of­ten sold in the lines out­side of the con­ven­tion cen­ter.

We’ll be there this week­end, celebri­ty-spot­ting and ex­pand­ing our au­to­graph col­lec­tions, and pos­ing for pho­tographs show­ing off our Necomi­mi cat ears (re­view com­ing soon). And we’ll be catch­ing the en­ter­tain­ment- Ben Folds Five is the open­ing night act, which should be fun since they haven’t toured to­geth­er in quite awhile and we hear the new ma­te­ri­al is pret­ty stel­lar. This year al­so sees ev­ery­thing from sci-fi speed dat­ing to cos­tume con­tests, a char­i­ty art auc­tion, a va­ri­ety of nerd com­e­dy, and even wand du­el­ing and Quid­ditch demon­stra­tions.

Oth­er high­lights: Sat­ur­day, Fight Club au­thor Chuck Palah­niuk will be read­ing and an­swer­ing ques­tions in the af­ter­noon, and New York TV show Per­son of In­ter­est will have cast and crew on hand (Michael Emer­son, Jim Caviezel, Jonathan Nolan).  On Sun­day, we can’t wait to find out more about the up­com­ing hor­ror film called Res­o­lu­tion, and there is al­so a sneak pre­view of the new FOX FBI tele­vi­sion dra­ma The Fol­low­ing, which stars Kevin Ba­con.

Whether it’s the chance to meet Car­rie Fish­er of Star Wars fame, or sim­ply check out the mas­sive show floor with hun­dreds of ex­hibitors hawk­ing ev­ery­thing from T-shirts to ac­tion fig­ures, the NY Com­ic Con is the place to be this week­end. Au­thors and il­lus­tra­tors ga­lore, stars like Bill Pax­ton and Guiller­mo del Toro, and even a pan­el fea­tur­ing F. Paul Wil­son and oth­ers talk­ing about ur­ban fan­ta­sy cock­tails (re­al­ly!) See you there!

Tags: , , ,