Arts no image

Published on September 27th, 2005 | by Greg

0

Indecision – Not Such a Bad Thing?

Ah, irony. Ah, drugs. Ah, late twenty-something NYC richkid angst.

Benjamin Kunkel forces us to face the hard facts about these things in his debut novel: they really exist, and they are not pretty.

And there are parts in Indecision where Kunkel definitely has an opinion on these things. Or maybe it’s his character, cleverly not named Benjamin Kunkel, who realizes these things.

Anyway, things are realized, and drugs are taken, and irony is hip again. And Indecision slides over the top of it all, with plenty of cleverness and drug references (but not so much that someone would confuse it with, say, David Foster Wallace). But Dwight turns from doofus slacker into loving sensitive world-traveller and that just kind of bums me out, man.

Indecision was, I’m sure, fun to write. And it’s fun to read at times. There are even some nice educational lessons: tidbits and digs about philosophy, politics, psychology, and other big concepts that start with “p”. But the substance of the book feels lacking, with parts tacked on, unconvincing dialogue and motivations, and of course, the problem that plagues a generation… ultimately no real point to it all.