Arts no image

Published on October 27th, 2005 | by Greg

0

Lies, Secrets, and Superheroes in New Books

New books The Book of Lies, The Book of Secrets, and The Government Manual for New Superheroes have more than a few things in common- they’re quick and fun reads, they’re under $15 each, and they’d make excellent gifts.

Budding superheroes will find plenty of tips in TGMfNS by Matthew David Brozik and Jacob Sager Weinstein- from advice on costuming and sidekicks, to assistance in choosing the proper name. It’s strictly tongue-in-cheek, with plenty of sly references for comic book fans (or just people who have seen The Incredibles). Clever drawings and a few great lines like “Also, your sidekick must not be better than you are at anything” prevent it from becoming boring, but a lack of discussion of any real superheroes keeps it from becoming an instant classic. Worth a read for advice about which city to choose to protect: “[C]ities like Buffalo, New York… tend to view the massive destruction wrought by alien death rays as an integral part of the urban renewal process”.

Almost as entertaining, but with much more history, The Book of Lies and The Book of Secrets (by Malcolm Green and Thomas Easton, respectively) are nondescript, intriguing volumes- one red and one black, both unadorned and almost biblical in their austerity. Inside them though, you’ll find optical illusions, top ten lists, and plenty of interesting facts. One of them covers the world of fibs from advertising to romance, the other discusses underground experiments and historical conspiracies. The Book of Lies tosses in more than a few fabrications of its own, but marks them with a symbol so you can tell them apart- a clever, but ultimately strained attempt at filler material that doesn’t quite work. The Book of Secrets wisely keeps it “real”, and has some fascinating stories to tell: from real-life inspirations for Harry Potter characters to hidden graves and some not-so-appetizing revelations on coffee and preservatives.

All three books are available now.