Published on December 6th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Bugging Out with Cirque du Soleil’s New Ovo

It’s hard to imagine that just over ten years ago is when I got my first taste of Cirque du Soleil . Quidam was splayed across television sets and DVDs of the production crowded snooty retail outlets during the holiday season. Even just watching the DVD, it was apparent that Cirque had created a show so far outshining every previous circus performance that it was practically a reinvention. After a decade, new Cirque du Soleil productions, such as the now-touring Ovo, still have the power to enthrall audiences of even veteran Cirque fans.

Ovo is the first Cirque to be created and directed by a woman. Brazilian choreographer Deborah Colker was the creative force behind Ovo (Portuguese for “egg”) and the Brazilian influence can be heard in the energetic music accompanying most dances and acrobatics routines. The theme is perhaps less abstract than some other Cirques, and revolves around a diverse group of bugs all interacting in their little patch of forest. When an egg is diligently brought back by a creepy creepy-crawley and subsequently stolen by what appears to be the king of the bugs, pandemonium and acrobatics ensue, as well as interspecies flirtation.

As with all Cirques we have seen, the quality of the choreography was superb. Starting off with an elegant concept and reveling in the beauty of it, then segueing into a very difficult and impressive athletic feat, or two, or ten. It’s an awe that effectively builds into satisfaction and wonder. And it’s a strategy Ovo used with their entire production, starting off with some of the amazing, but smaller acts, such as the one-person Diabolo juggler, who took the art to a whole new level, and bringing in the larger-scale acts later on, such as the massive trampoline wall-jumping act performed by an orchestra of crickets, of course.

After so long in the spotlight, there is a tendency to take Cirque du Soleil for granted, but Ovo is a reminder that Cirque du Soleil is still reinventing and still upping the standards for creativity in circus performances. Cirque remains the best at acquiring, training and choreographing talent. Look no further than this awesome training video for a reminder of how truly amazing their physical feats are. And if you were considering missing out on this show, then I would suggest you reconsider and instead samba your way over to their ticket booth for this fun bit of frivolity.

Tickets are available through their site for between $60-$250 for adults. Ovo is in San Francisco until January 24, 2010 and will then be visiting San Jose, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford, Boston, Washington DC, and Atlanta.