Published on October 22nd, 2009 | by Greg

0

Snow White on Blu-Ray And Disney Films on Ice

You wouldn’t think that a film from 1937 would look quite so sharp on hi-definition Blu-ray. You’d be wrong. The remastering and restoration skills of Disney are clearly put to good use here, and result in a pretty great 1080p transfer of an animated classic. It even has 7.1 DTS-HD audio!

Basically, if you haven’t seen the Disney version of Snow White, you should- and this is the best version yet. Available in several editions, including a limited edition collector’s version, a Blu-ray/DVD combo, and a two-disc DVD set, all of them come with similar extras. And there are a load of extra- as many or more than we’ve ever seen. Audio commentaries, featurettes, deleted scenes (in an animated film?!) a music video, and more… and that’s just disc 1. Disc 2 has many, many featurettes on a wide variety of topics. We confess to not watching them all, as to do so would seemingly take days. The art is beautiful, and the whole thing is fairly easy to use as well (unlike some DVDs where menus can be hard to navigate even to simply play the movie).

We should add though, that the film itself does feel “old”. In a classic way, that adults will appreciate but kids might not. It definitely has a different feel than modern-day animated movies, and those with short attention spans will probably wonder what the fuss is about. Influential, charming, sure, but Snow White might not grab the five year old.

At around $20, this is a no-brainer for folks who want a definitive edition (until the next one, of course, but this package already feels a bit excessive). We should mention, though, that Disney’s moratorium on releases is odd. Basically, instead of keeping the films in circulation, they release a film every ten years or so, and then it goes back into the vault. This seems to be largely a sales tactic, and a little too blatantly transparent and unnecessary. Don’t keep great films on ice Disney, when the releases are this good.