Published on March 24th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Dilbert 2.0: 20 Years of Dilbert and Watchmen, 20 Years Later

They’ve been out for a while, but there is a good chance you haven’t picked them up yet- and you really should. Watchmen is out in theaters, and there has never been a better time to be a fan- the hardcover edition is well-done if sparse on the extras. And the new Dilbert collection is the one to rule all others, 10 pounds of wry and funny, with never-before-seen cartoons (some of which are pretty racy).

Dilbert 2.0: 20 Years of Dilbert is an equal to previous collections like The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes, and though you might not be able to curl up in bed with the over-sized book, the CD is almost worth it by itself, and allows you to even re-gift either portion of the package to a worthwhile cubicle mate. Combine the excellent production values, the solid printing and general heft, and toss in the included CD with every strip published and you have an unbeatable package.

Dilbert has managed to remain relevant after all of this time, and if the 600 pages and 4000 strips aren’t always thought-provoking or laugh out loud funny, the commentary and extras add some nice insight into the author, Scott Adams. At under $50 via Amazon, there is no good reason not to let a lot more Dilbert (and Catbert, Ratbert, and the rest of the gang) into your life.

The Watchmen has been out for just about 20 years as well and it was about time they made a movie. The Watchmen was originally envisioned with already well-known comic book characters, but that proved unfeasible and instead Alan Moore went about creating original characters with familiar elements. Artist Dave Gibbons and colorist John Higgins created the distinct look behind the novel and though the movie did a very good job of adapting that style, there are still some differences, most especially with the new Silk Spectre.

Though not a very big comic book fan, we quite enjoyed The Watchmen in its original (and genius) form. The hypnotizing dialogue from the film was stolen almost directly from the graphic novel and even shot-by-shot scenes were lifted from the recently re-released copy. But in addition, you’ll find a pirate sidestory, an autobiography from the original Nite Owl, and a giant squid. The novel fills in more of the story, more of the plot and feels quite a bit more complete. And it is a great read, even today, even if you’re new to the series.