Published on December 15th, 2010 | by Greg

0

VeeBeam HD: An Interesting Media Player Alternative

In a crowded market of various types of PC to TV steaming devices, VeeBeam HD manages to stand out from the crowd with its ease of use, affordability and its wide compatibility.

We have tried various and different types of devices in our quest to find a device capable of streaming videos from our PC’s onto our TV’s, and VeeBeam has definitely made a mark for its self among its various competitors. To start with, one of the most impressive things about the VeeBeam HD is its “content agnostic” capabilities- anything you want to view from the internet can be viewed on your TV through the VeeBeam, so you can watch videos from various sites such as Youtube, NetFlix, Hulu etc basically videos from all over the internet or any video your PC can play, something which many of its competitors are currently unable to do.

We really loved how easy the device was to setup. We just plugged in the USB dongle that came with the device, downloaded the software –more on our dislike of that later- and we were off!!! No wire to plug or complex and arcane manual to read and get frustrated over.

When streaming your content through the device, you have two options of doing this. The first is what VeeBeam calls screencasting. Whatever you have on your laptop will be on your TV, this makes things easy but the quality of the image suffers because the resolution of your laptop/PC is the resolution shown on your PC.

Veebeam has gotten around this limiting factor by building in a second streaming option called Video to play mode which happens to be the VeeBeam player itself. This option plays whatever video you want to play in the media’s default resolution. This is a great idea for those that have laptops only capable of lower resolutions although the VeeBeam HD is capable of steaming 1080p content. In our opinion, the three main flaws in the VeeBeam HD are its line of sight requirements, the need to download software and codecs for the device and its incompatibility with netbooks.

The VeeBeam’s biggest flaw is its reliance on Certified Wireless USB which requires “line of sight” to function, which means you can’t have your laptop or PC in another room while you use the VeeBeam. Also any continued obstruction of “line of sight” will cause the device to drop the signal but this isn’t a problem if someone or something is only passing through wont drop the signal.

Its second flaw is the necessity of downloading software and also video codecs for the device to operate, which we feel should automatically come with the device. The third flaw is a very small niggling flaw that irked us nonetheless, was the VeeBeam’s inability to work with netbooks. As we love netbooks, this was a little flaw that made the VeeBeam just a little less awesome.

All these flaws do not diminish the technical achievements of the Veebeam HD or from the many positives that the device has. With such a crowded market of competitors, we believe the VeeBeam HD has definitely left a mark that its competitors should note. And it’s good looks certainly help.

The VeeBeam HD system requirements are 2.2 GHz or greater, Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel i3, i5, and i7, 2 GB RAM and is compatible with Mac OS X (10.5, 10.6), Windows 7 and Windows Vista. The device can be found at their website (www.veebeam.com) or at Amazon for $139.