Published on August 26th, 2010 | by Greg

0

Built NY & Crumpler Offer Photo Bags Anyone Can Appreciate

For all you photography buffs out there, it need not matter whether it is a hobby, your full-time job, or if you are a card-carrying member of the paparazzi. We have got you covered with our look at the latest from Built NY and Crumpler, aimed at those of us who shoot with our souls, not our fingers.

The best thing about the Built NY Cargo Camera Bag is that it doesn’t resemble your a typical camera bag. While taking this out on our photography expeditions, we received a barrage of compliments. This prompted us of course to realize why this cargo bag is so popular.

We traveled with the large camera bag and it provided us with plenty of space. It was literally the King Kong of cargo space- you might even be able to downsize to the medium one depending on what you have to carry. We easily carried our Nikon D90, a large extra lens, battery charger, e-book reader, and an wallet with no problem.

The Cargo protects your goods with two layers of neoprene and also features removable Velcro dividers for customization. There are 6 interior pockets and these worked well for cables and our various odds and ends, like filters, spare lens caps, remotes, and the like.

We were able to purchase from Amazon for around $70 in black. It also comes in a raspberry and a microdot color scheme. Prices may vary depending on color choice, but regardless, it’s a good deal on an easy-to-like bag with flexibility and a bit of discretion. Folks won’t recognize it as a camera bag, which can definitely be helpful.

On the other hand, Crumpler wanted to “wow” us with a durable bag that resembles a compartmentalized super-backpack. It will sting your pocketbook a little, but it is meant for on-the-go photographers who need easy access for quick lens changes and a removable tripod compartment. This is a feature-rich, heavy-duty bag that can do double or triple duty, and offers enough padding to feel secure when hauling even your priciest gear.

The C-List Celebrity Bag was a nice change of pace from other camera bags we’ve used in the past. The weight is directed at our hips instead of primarily on our shoulders and that was a welcome relief. The spine channels directed air toward our back so we weren’t a sweaty mess while heading towards events. When you’re trying to carry a few camera bodies and flashes and batteries, and all of the extra equipment that goes with it, ergonomics are crucial. And it’s here that the C-List scored the most points with us- plenty of bags are durable and have capacity to spare, but few offer quite the level of support and flexibility.

Design and execution both showed a great deal of thought. The bag is rearward facing to avoid dirt from the ground, and offers retro-reflective stripes and a rain cover. The removable photo compartment allowed us to organize all that was sacred to us, and we managed to pack in more gear than we really should have. As the Cargo lacked any accessible zipper pockets on the outside, we went overboard with the Crumpler C-List. We liked the accessory / gear loops as well, they were extremely solid where many bags are simply a piece of cloth.

It is available in black and comes in three sizes to fit Apple’s range of Macs; Mac/MacBook/MacBook Pro laptops as well as a variety of thin PC laptops. The large one can hold up to a 15-inch laptop and is available from Crumpler directly and is $445. You can purchase the medium size one which holds up to a 13-inch laptop in black from Amazon for $395. Worth it? If you’re a photojournalist who lives our of your bag, almost certainly. For others, it might just be more than you need.

If you are looking for a brighter backpack and like Crumpler’s functionality, look no further than the Sinking Barge which carries not only your laptop but also camera and various camera attachments. It also comes in a orange/forest green/khaki color combo and is way better to carry than your typical shoulder camera bag.