Published on April 3rd, 2006 | by Greg

0

HIFF Spring: Hard Candy

We had a rough week last week, what with flooding and Spring Break. But we’re back, and there’s nothing like a few good movies to make the weeks of rain fade away. We have some exciting stuff lined up for the next couple of weeks-

HIFF, the Hawaii International Film Festival, started on Friday and runs until April 6th. The lineup is pretty good- heavy on Asian films, as usual, but with plenty of premieres and interesting flicks. 26 films, 13 countries. The first film we’re looking at is one that we’ve been looking forward to for quite a while: the twisted thriller Hard Candy.

Hard Candy is the story of a teenage girl who meets a creep online and proceeds to meet him in real life- but knows what she’s doing, and turns the tables on him. As with most thrillers, the plot twists and turns; unlike most, there are only two real characters and the conflict avoids most stereotypical “movie logic”. Breaking the mold in much the way “Red Eye” did, the movie’s success relies almost completely on the acting and the dialogue.

It’s not a movie for everyone- certainly, viewers won’t be taking home a strong uplifting message. The modern moral dilemmas, so hackneyed in many films, are piercing here. Like other “difficult” films (Requiem for a Dream anyone?), you might not want to watch it again. But the first time is a blast, unique and powerful and everything movies can be. With its very focused view, only two developed characters and quality writing, the movie felt like an exciting Broadway play. Don’t worry though, it’s not Broadway prices.