Arts 152_d

Published on June 27th, 2006 | by Greg

0

Noka: World’s Most Expensive

Yesterday, we started our "week of chocolate" off with a look at "Chocolove" bars- a pretty basic, inexpensive, high quality set which featured single-origin chocolates. Today, we turn our attention to a company that has taken the luxury of chocolates to a whole new level.

Let's say you are Lex Luthor (in honor of today's Superman release)- you don't want quantity, you want quality. And there's something to be said for a consumable status symbol- Noka chocolates are only available in Hawaii through their online store or at Neiman Marcus, and cost $3 to $4 for a piece. Which doesn't seem so bad until you realize that a Noka "piece" is ridiculously delicate and thumbnail-sized.

Which seems too small, until you taste them- and instead of being overwhelmed by sugars or preservatives or fillers you instead taste a surprisingly primal chocolate. The box talks about chocolate like wine- "vintage collection", cleansing your palate. And we didn't buy it, until a blind tasting had their chocolates beating out most everything else we tried- dark berries in the Ecuador sample, an intense and quite pleasant smokiness in the ones from Trinidad.

These are a far cry from comfort food- concentrated, aromatic even. While we cannot recommend Noka as an easy impulse buy, they are a perfect gift for the chocolate lover or even wine/food lover. Indulge, if you can afford it.