Published on June 3rd, 2010 | by Greg

0

Avoid Traffic Cameras With The GPS Angel V4E

There are those of us who properly obey each and every speed limit… and those of who really want to, but find it quite difficult. For those in the latter category, radar detectors will help, but in some states they are restricted and they also can end up notifying you a bit too late.

Speed and red light cameras have become a hot button topic for many who say that they are too invasive and others who think it is just another way for local governments to make money. Regardless of your feelings, you might be happy to become acquainted with the GPS Angel V4E=. In a nutshell, it uses its GPS technology to detect red light and speed cameras, and notify you of them.

Though we love GPS tracking systems, like our Magellan 4250, they don’t save us from traffic tickets.

Setup is incredibly easy- all we had to do was plug into our PC to download the latest information on traffic areas and then plug the unit into the cigarette lighter in our car, and place it on our dashboard next to our bobble-head of W. The cord was long enough without being overly obvious, and the device is tiny which is nice for avoiding theft.

It gives both visual and audible warnings of red light and speed cameras. It is supposed to alert near school zones as well, but we found the accuracy to not be 100%. The only times we’ve had trouble acquiring a GPS signal are in remote areas or under overpasses, typical issues for all GPS systems, as were the slight delay in acquiring the correct location (up to a minute or so). We were happy the majority of the time we used this- results are not guaranteed of course, but we found it was helpful and one less ticket is still one less ticket. Especially in states looking to beef up budgets using traffic cameras, knowing where they are is a good part of the battle, and the database is regularly updated.

Our favorite feature was definitely the “Points of Interest” button. We were able to pick out areas we knew were hazardous to our wallet. The device beeps now when we drive by our designated spot, which in our case is where a cop is always waiting during rush-hour to surprise those unaware.

A lifetime subscription to the database and free updates are included, an added bonus of using the Angel V4E. However, it appears that the unit will not work on computers running Mac OS (or Linux).

Overall, we couldn’t be more delighted at the potential of saving ourselves dinero on traffic fines. And for less than the cost of a traffic ticket, it’s great for drivers who tend to have lead feet. We found it online at Amazon for around $80.