Arts insight-editions-books

Published on December 17th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Insight Editions: Great Gift Books!

Presents wrapped up? Stocking ready? We thought not- and we’re in the same boat. Why not do some last minute shopping for the folks on your list, and consider some of these books. We’ve been reading and flipping through titles for kids, movie and music fans, for the coffee table, and even ones that feature pull-out posters. All gorgeous, gift-ready options from Insight Editions.

If you’re into Michael Jackson, or style, chances are that you’ve seen the title The King Of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson, by Michael Bush. Covering everything from Billie Jean, Beat It, and Thriller to more modern fashion statements, it’s written by his personal stylist and designer who brings a close-up view at how The King of Pop grew into the role. Plenty of visuals offer a look through the years, and it’s interested reading even for the casual fan. $45.

Harry Potter fans might be sad at the end of the books and movies, but should enjoy some pull-out posters thanks to the book Harry Potter: The Quintessential Images and Harry Potter: The Definitive Movie Posters. Full character shots from all eight movies or a set of all of the posters from the series , courtesy of Warner Brothers, these official images are well-shot and the posters decent-sized, printed on thick cardstock. Relive the films. $25 each.

Our favorite two books were coffee table editions, and more art-related. Shadowline: The Art of Iain McCaig features works from an artist we didn’t recognize by name. But his touch has appeared in films from Hook to Terminator 2, and he was the principal designer on the three Star Warsprequels. Lovely characters sketches and detailed notes, perfect for the sci-fi or fantasy fan. A bit pricey, though, at $65.

Photography lovers will appreciate the best of the set, A Day in the World. This large-format book captures images from around the world, all from May 15th, 2012, when people from around the globe picked up their cameras to record their lives for the project. Cellphone photos, grainy snapshots, and crisp high-def ones offer strong contrasts- and a compelling portrait- of a single, fairly uneventful-seeming day.

And film fans will also love a few of their other titles: we enjoyed the latest Batman trilogy, and the books Batmobile: The Complete History and The Dark Knight Manual both were pretty lovely, if a little straightforward- great to flip through once but perhaps not the most absorbing reads. And though we weren’t regular watchers of the show, we know there are lots of you out there that will appreciate The Essential Supernatural. $40-$50.

Finally, it’s about time that you got your hands on The Godfather Official Motion Picture Archive. Covering all of the trilogy, it includes a bunch of weird documents and behind-the-same images. Serious fans of the book by Mario Puzo will certainly eat this up, but we didn’t love the layout and design, which held us back from the text a bit. $45.

All available directly from the publisher, Insight Editions.

Tags: , , , ,