Published on January 16th, 2013 | by Greg

NY Jewish Film Festival: Oma And Bella

New York City is a showcase for cinema of all kinds. And from now until January 24th, there’s a film festival running that is definitely worth checking out. If it wasn’t for the Consumer Electronics Show, we would’ve already been attending, but as it is, we’re lucky to be alive after nearly a hundred miles of walking through halls and exhibits and booths. Thankfully, there’s nothing like a good movie to help restore the soul- so join us at the New York Jewish Film Festival, with tickets running a mere $13 (or less for students and members).

Earlier today, we caught the film Oma and Bella, a German documentary by director Alexa Karolinski, who captured some of the life of her grandmother and her grandmother’s lifelong best friend. Told gently, with lots of cooking (the director was actually in the process of writing a cookbook when she started filming), the movie explores the history of these two women, from lost childhoods in concentration camps to finding love and raising families. Filled with plenty of Jewish humor, it’s entirely in German with English subtitles, and it’s easy to enjoy the story of the two elderly ladies, still finding lots to appreciate about life.

We heard from the director, who was in person at the screening and discussed the ladies and their trials and tribulations. A Berliner herself, she answered some lingering questions and updated us all- and both are well, perky, and have seen the film and mostly worried about how their wrinkles would appear. Characters indeed, we wish them l’chaim.

Though no further screenings of this film are available, many others are! Get tickets now, online, and join us at Lincoln Center.

Tags: , , , , , , ,