all gun_bdcoverart_0

Published on January 25th, 2011 | by Greg

0

New on Blu-ray: Gone Madigan and Gun

When we aren’t sip­ping wineread­ing books, or check­ing out the lat­est events, we try to catch up on movies we missed in the the­ater as well as some that nev­er made it to the big screen. Most re­cent­ly, we’ve found a cou­ple of Blu-ray movies to sug­gest: they’re for very dif­fer­ent au­di­ences. Though one is a stand-up spe­cial and the oth­er an ac­tion movie, both end up pro­vid­ing a bit of com­e­dy, un­in­ten­tion­al­ly or not.

We con­fess to be­ing most­ly un­fa­mil­iar with Kath­leen Madi­gan. Though she ap­par­ent­ly won the Amer­i­can Com­e­dy Award for Best Fe­male Com­ic and has been on plen­ty of shows, in­clud­ing Last Com­ic Stand­ing, we were sur­prised by her re­cent spe­cial, Gone Madi­gan. Avail­able on both DVD and Blu-ray, as well as Ama­zon Video on De­mand, we were a bit skep­ti­cal at first hav­ing on­ly seen short­er clips but quick­ly were won over. This isn’t a lengthy film by any means- at about 64 min­utes, it’s short and snap­py. And packed full, to boot- most­ly fair­ly stan­dard in terms of se­tups, she nonethe­less man­ages to touch on ev­ery­thing from Oprah to Afghanistan. The best bits are those that have her im­per­son­at­ing oth­ers, or eveb sort of im­per­son­at­ing her­self, in the best tra­di­tion of self-mock­ery.

Though much of it isn’t mem­o­rable- no punch­lines that had us rolling on the floor- it’s sol­id. The disc it­self is sim­i­lar- video qual­i­ty is un­re­mark­able, though it is 1080i in­stead of the usu­al 1080p, we didn’t no­tice much dif­fer­ence. Au­dio is the same- per­fect­ly ad­e­quate. And the fea­tures are fair­ly stan­dard, of­fer­ing a brief in­ter­view and a quite de­cent be­hind-the-scenes look at her fam­i­ly. At $15 or so, this is a qual­i­ty buy for those look­ing for an easy set of laughs from a co­me­di­an that it’s easy to like.

Gun, on the oth­er hand, is easy to dis­like. What can you ex­pect from a movie with a vague and for­get­table ti­tle, that stars 50 Cent and an old, hag­gard-look­ing Val Kilmer? We sat down hop­ing for a twist on ex­cel­lent Hong Kong films like PTU and Fight Back to School- a clas­sic sce­nario where the po­lice are look­ing for a stolen gun. Here, we find out who has the gun fair­ly ear­ly, and move on from there, mak­ing the movie less about sus­pense and more about… well, so-so ac­tion scenes. You have to give cred­it where cred­it is due- 50 Cent (Cur­tis Jack­son) pulls off his part rea­son­ably well, bet­ter than plen­ty of oth­er rap­pers or mu­si­cians-turned-ac­tors. And we were im­pressed that he wrote the movie, de­spite the pre­dictable plot.

But ev­ery­thing feels a lit­tle work­man­like, and no one seems to want to get caught try­ing too hard. Oth­er than Val Kilmer, that is, who seems to think he has walked in­to the pro­duc­tion of a re­al movie and steals the show. Nonethe­less, there isn’t a lot new to see here. It’s fair­ly slow, for an ac­tion film, and the char­ac­ters are bare sketch­es. We end­ed up laugh­ing at a cou­ple of points, where flash­backs and plot points were re­cy­cled brazen­ly. It is nice see­ing a movie filmed out­side of Toron­to or Van­cou­ver (Grand Rapids, Michi­gan is prac­ti­cal­ly the best char­ac­ter in the movie). But be­tween the mediocre sound­track and oc­ca­sion­al­ly awk­ward edit­ing, we can’t rec­om­mend this one to any­one ex­cept for 50 Cent fans.

On Blu-ray, the trans­fer is sur­pris­ing­ly good- ex­treme­ly clear, though with mut­ed col­ors. The au­dio is al­so crisp, with gun­shots sound­ed al­most wor­ry­ing­ly re­al. But the lack of bonus fea­tures was a bit sad- the trail­er doesn’t add much, and we would have def­i­nite­ly en­joyed some com­men­tary on this one. Rat­ed R, 82 min­utes. Avail­able wide­ly, for around $10.

Tags: ,