Arts suicide-girls-hard-girls-soft-light-1

Published on April 14th, 2013 | by Greg

0

SuicideGirls: Hard Girls, Soft Light

Have a coffee table in need of an irresistible book? While we regularly check out books like these, most of the time they are less… adult in nature or topic. But on the heels of our review of some great lingerie, it seemed like a perfect time to mention a provocative new edition from these ladies who bring a discerning eye to an alternative subculture and style that is easy to appreciate. The website gets millions of visitors- and is even split in membership pretty evenly between men and women- meaning that this a title that should appeal to a wide audience, though its definitely not safe for work.

SuicideGirls: Hard Girls, Soft Light is the latest collection of pin-ups, each featuring non-traditional styles. That can include tattoos and piercings, but more than that as well- anything that is “different” or “unusual”, and few of the models are similar to one another. If you’re a fan of the site or the aesthetic, then this is a great compendium and also serves as a nice introduction to those who may not be familiar.

It’s not organized in any particular way, it seems, but flows fairly naturally and encourages casual “flipping around” and browsing. While the book as a whole can thus feel a bit random, lacking a clear narrative or even artistic focus, the images themselves are often striking. The photography is often stellar, and the binding and paper are high quality and high-class. 204 pages, available online and in stores from Ammo Books, starting at around $24. There’s something about the striking images on paper, rather than on a screen, that make this a book well worth showcasing.

Tags: , , ,