Arts prophetofbones

Published on April 15th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Prophet of Bones: A Weird, Alternate World Of Creationism

It takes a while to get the basics, but it’s an interesting premise once it arrives: a world where our current understanding of evolution is consigned to the dust bin and creationism holds sway, even in scientific forums. In this new novel, a sort of alternate world, sci-fi adventure, there’s plenty of hard science but the facts have been corrupted and adjusted to fit biblical narrative. This might make you groan a bit and certainly strain your sense of credulity, but if you accept it with a bit of faith you can sit back and enjoy a fairly roaring yarn.

The Prophet of Bones dashes from dig sites on the island of Flores to shady backroom genetic labs, and handles the journey nicely with plenty of action sequences that keep things moving. But many readers will find the plot convoluted at points and half-baked in others, with fairly rote characters that never quite leap of the page. The climax isn’t quite successful and the villain doesn’t seem as menacing as intended, though there are several excellent scenes that feel appropriately cinematic. Think Island of Dr. Moreau meets Jurassic Park, and you have the basic idea.

Author Ted Kosmatka’s previous novel, The Games, combined genetic engineering in a near-future world with a bit more success. But anyone in need of a fairly thoughtful beach read, and who enjoys learning about some recent research in genetics and archaeology will enjoy The Prophet of Bones. Available now in hardcover for under $20. Also, a side note: the Australian cover is far superior to the confusing artwork on the American version. 368 pages, published by Holt and Company.

Tags: , ,