Fashions muw-timepieces

Published on April 19th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Rosendahl MUW: A Universal Timepiece

Watches tend to fall into a few categories- most wristwatches are either aimed at men or women, are either everyday, fashion-forward or sports/activity-related. There are some other timepieces as well, beyond the wristwatch- the old-fashioned pocket watch, perfect for hipsters. It makes sense that a designer would look at this situation and think: “why not create a single basic watchcase and flexible elements around it?”

The designers are Kasper and Rikke Salto, and they imagined a unique timepiece that they’ve called MUW, from Rosendahl. It’s an acronym for “men, unisex, and women”, and it’s available in five different models – three for the wrist, one for around the neck and a pocket watch as well. The straps themselves are available in several varieties of color-coordinated nylon, and you can swap them out and accessorize on the fly, in theory.

The hardened mineral lens and stainless steel case mean durability. And we were surprised that a designer watch like this one lists specs allowing it go withstand 5 ATM of pressure, meaning that it’s waterproof up to 132 feet or so. The Danish design is modern and minimalist, easy to read, with nicely colored hands that stand out against the watch dial. Wearing it is comfortable, a nice in-between size that can work on both men and women, and looks classy without drawing excess attention.

As a pocket watch, we found the strap a bit odd though- a nice idea, but traditional pocketwatches offer chain links to fit around buttons. Having this strap coming out of a jacket pocket is… a little awkward. The neck strap is also interesting, and seemed like a good option for folks who don’t want a wristwatch- but with no electronics or other features, you can’t use it as a stopwatch or alarm.

The MUW is lovely, and a great compromise that also offers something unique and unusual in the world of timepieces today. Available now, it’s a bit difficult to find in the USA, but worth seeking out for a distinctive design.

Tags: , , , ,