Published on April 26th, 2013 | by Greg

Opening Today In Times Square – Body Worlds: Pulse

Whether you’re a tourist or a local, there are some good reasons to visit Times Square. You can check out the many theater options, enjoy some of the city’s famed shopping spots, and see the famous sites. There’s also plenty of kitschy fun to be had for families, with theme restaurants and attractions. But if you’re looking to be entertained, educated, and just a little bit creeped out, then there is a new exhibition that you should definitely check out. It’s definitely more interesting than the wax museum around the corner!

Body Worlds: Pulse opens today at Discovery Times Square. If you haven’t already seen the famous results of plastination, then you definitely should! For the last couple of decades, similar exhibits have been traveling the country, including at a space that’s been closed since Hurricane Sandy, down near South Street Seaport. This exhibit takes some material that you might be familiar with, and adds some impressive new pieces as well.

We attended the grand opening of the space, and met the man behind the science, Gunther von Hagens. There’s no doubt that the various Body Worlds exhibits have attracted their fair share of controversy, but anatomy has always been a bit in the shadows. Bringing the human body into light in a new way, plastination is eerie and awe-inspiring, whether you’re examining the growth of a fetus or able to see just how smoking takes a visually obvious toll on the lungs. There are sections on fat and diabetes and some “skeletons” that will make you definitely consider your diet.

Unfortunately, photography is not allowed inside, and few good photos are available of some of the best works, but the embedded video above gives a good look at the original exhibition. The newer displays, though, are definitely worth a visit even if you’ve seen earlier versions- you get to walk around the sealed cabinets and see a 360-degree view of a body frozen in time, but visually dissected. Of course, it’s not for the faint of heart- there is a “peeled” man literally holding his skin! It’s presented well though, with some very helpful information and thoughtful quotes throughout, and we liked that the informative signs were almost poetic in structure.

Body Worlds: Pulse is open Sunday through Thursday from 10:00AM to 8:00PM and Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00AM to 9:00PM. Located at 226 West 44th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues, tickets are available in advance for reserved time blocks, and cost $25 for adults and $19.50 for children. American Express cardholders can get a complimentary audio guide with ticket purchase.

Tags: , , ,