Published on July 28th, 2013 | by Greg

Cirque du Soleil’s Quixotic Quidam: One More Day At Barclays!

Though it first took shape in another millennium and as a big top show, one of Cirque du Soleil’s most popular shows has since toured around the globe in arenas. Most recently, it’s stopped locally in Brooklyn for a few shows at the Barclays Center. The last ones are tomorrow, Sunday, July 28th, at 1PM and 5PM and at press time, tickets were still available! Next stops include Florida, Austria, Germany, and Spain through the end of the year.

The show: Quidam. And though the titles are always unusual, this one is named after a cute character, a headless man carrying an umbrella. More than fifty performers take the stage, offering some of the usual delights, including acrobatics and juggling. But even if you’ve seen a few different shows, this one offers plenty to amaze and is mesmerizing in parts. The surreal color palette and costume design combine nicely with the fast-paced story, and Quidam features best audience involvement we’ve yet seen in a Cirque show.

Not everything works- some parts feel a bit dated, especially the music. The musicians, as well, more often highly visible in recent shows, are basically unseen here in the background. And while some stages amaze at first glance, this one is a bit more subtle, with a rotating platform and incredibly high arced beams slowly coming into play. The best use of the space is definitely the vertiginous silks act, but it was also fairly boring, with a single performer slowly doing aerial contortions.

Other acts were more noteworthy, like the standout Diabolo (Chinese yo-yo) section and the whiz-bang introductory German wheel. Most others featured a duo or group in high energy performances, such as the incredible well co-ordinated and directed jump rope routine. Banquine was lovely to see, and aerial hoops certainly drew some oohs and ahs from the crowd. Every seat is good… and yes, there are clowns and laughs too. Quidam is not quite as breath-taking as Totem’s artistry, nor does it offer the sheer pizazz of Zarkana’s inspired craziness, but it’s a great show sure to leave any family satisfied. Tickets run $50-130, and are available now online.

Tags: , , , , , ,