Published on November 2nd, 2013 | by Greg

Monsters University: Now On Blu-Ray!

It’s past the time for scares, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late to enjoy some Monsters. Whether you’re preparing your Christmas gift lists (the first time those words have appeared this year), or just wanting to cozy up and enjoy a good flick, it’d be hard to find better family fare than Pixar’s latest film, Monsters University.

If you’re already a fan of the first, then this one is a must-see- how could you not love walking eyeball Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) or companion James P. Sullivan (John Goodman)? But even if you haven’t seen, or barely remember, the original, it’s easy to hop in and enjoy this sequel thanks to it’s clever origin story. As you might imagine, this isn’t an origin story like dark comic books that have been all the rage lately, but rather a fairly light-hearted romp on college friendship that definitely offers something for all ages.

Fraternity pranks might not seem the most kid-friendly topic, but it works out surprisingly well, and this is ultimately a college buddy movie that hearkens back to other classics in the genre. There’s a little Animal House along with a little Harry Potter, and the new cast adds to the fun (Helen Mirren owns her role as a Dean).

We watched the Blu-ray edition, and it was an incredibly impressive transfer- lush colors, sharp and detailed hairs and eyes, great depth and dark blacks. Sound is equally solid, with plenty of room for roars and sounds, with balanced dialogue and rich (if only so-so) music. Even if it’s not the most original creation, it’s hard to find much to fault with Monsters University’s funny, clever writing, solid acting and voiceover work, and lively animation. Available now in several formats including a multi-disk edition, for around $25. Rated G.

Tags: , , , , ,