Arts montegrappa-miya-carbon

Published on July 21st, 2014 | by Greg

0

Montegrappa Miya Carbon: A Ballpoint Pen With Pizazz

Writing doesn’t have to be a lost art. Emails and text messages are fine, but the truly meaningful items will always be hand-written- the difference between a document you save forever and one you throw away can be as simple as whether it’s a print-out of computer text or a lovingly signed letter. Whether it’s a lease on your first store or the contract to your new job, a great writing instrument can make a big difference, and using one is a status symbol more than most any other tool.

The Montegrappa Miya Carbon is a line of fine pens from the Italian company, originally ELMO, a company that dates from 1912 and claims to be the first pen manufacturer in Italy. Available in several 18k gold nib sizes and varieties of fountain pens, as well as rollerball versions, ours was a ballpoint pen- convenient and fun if a bit less romantic than using an inkwell would have been. We’ve seen a large number of other interesting writing instruments before, from 5th Generation Parkers to nifty Turtle pens, vanishing Pilots and classy Acme designs. But we’ve never seen an executive pen like this, a perfect gift for the businessman in your life with a sense of fashion. The Miya is a stylish addition to any collection and a beautiful example of European craftsmanship.

Everyone from celebrities like Michael Jackson and Al Pacino, to the rarefied set of kings and even popes (John Paul II) have used Montegrappa pens, and it’s easy to see why: they combine luxuriousness without being too ostentatious. The Miya Carbon offers a fairly classic shape and style with perfect balance, and some cutting-edge technology thanks to the inclusion of carbon fiber in the body (we’re guessing it’s not only decorative but also incredibly durable). Celluloid makes up the cap and the end, offering a change in texture (or color, ours was yellow though orange is also available, as is straight black). There’s sterling silver trim and details as well as a pocket clip, and a cute secret detail, a red lacquer finish on the back of the clip.

Every joint is perfect, and every line or curve written is smooth as silk- but you probably don’t want this pen for it’s excellent flow. Others described it as ‘sporty’ or ‘a modern twist on classy”, but no one can deny it’s distinctive and makes you feel like a million bucks. Granted, it’s not a pen you’ll want to carry with you every day, as the Montegrappa Miya Carbon is a potential heirloom you could pass down to your kids. Available now in stores and online, we were able to find them for around $1000,

Tags: , , , ,