all truesoullpboxdetail

Published on May 13th, 2011 | by Greg

0

Our Summer Playlist: Putumayo and True Soul

It’s great to re­view gear. But when check­ing out the lat­est in mu­sic equip­ment and home au­dio gad­gets, it’s nice to al­so get a han­dle on some of the newest mu­sic re­leas­es. To­day, we’ve got al­bums from two sources, cov­er­ing an in­ter­est­ing range. One set you’ve prob­a­bly heard of, and the oth­er is an an­thol­o­gy of some ex­cel­lent tracks that are large­ly un­known.

We’ll start with the less­er known. True Soul: Deep Sounds From The Left Of Stax, is a “a col­lec­tion of rare and un­re­leased funk and soul mu­sic from the fa­bled Arkansas in­die.” Two vol­umes chock full of would-be clas­sics that were some­how missed, most of these thir­ty-odd tracks. Now ev­ery­thing is great- some of the dis­co and and rap miss the mark- but there are a few gems in there. Re­leased by Now Again Records, word is that the full re­lease will in­clude DVDs as well, but the of­fi­cial re­lease date ap­pears to be quite a while off- one source has it pegged as Ju­ly! If you’re a fan of funk or soul, there are some sur­pris­ing­ly good pieces in here that are sure to end up in sam­ples soon (a few seem as if they may have al­ready). Rest as­sured that no one else will have these on their playlist any­time soon, and rev­el in some 60′s and 70′s tunes.

Or, you can chill to Pu­tu­mayo. We’ve been lis­ten­ing to their lat­est three- Bossa No­va Around the WorldAcous­tic Dream­land, and Rum­ba, Mam­bo, Cha-Cha-Cha. Pref­er­ences among staff var­ied wide­ly here, with some folks en­joy­ing them as back­ground “cof­fee shop” mu­sic, and oth­ers re­al­ly lik­ing the Rum­ba al­bum start to fin­ish. Acous­tic Dream­land was a lit­tle weak- it’s ac­tu­al­ly an al­bum for kids, the fifth in the se­ries, and fea­tures cov­ers of songs from bands like Wilco and the All­man Broth­ers. The lul­la­bies are nice, but worked a bit too well on the adults. It was nifty to see a pret­ty great Ger­man band, 2raum­woh­nung, on the Bossa No­va al­bum, even if the in­clud­ed song “Melan­cholisch Schön” isn’t their best. This one had some strong spots and a few weak ones, but it was cer­tain­ly in­ter­est­ing to see so many coun­tries- South Ko­rea! Ser­bia!- rep­re­sent­ed on a CD de­vot­ed to a Brazil­ian style. Pu­tu­mayo cer­tain­ly has a style- check out their wide se­lec­tion and ex­pect to spend around $15 per disc.

Tags: ,