all oberoi-1-3

Published on June 2nd, 2011 | by Greg

0

Cairo And Istanbul: Now Is The Time!

About a month ago, we went on a jour­ney. You may have no­ticed- our vol­ume of post­ing went down, and we fo­cused a bit more on trav­el prod­ucts. We didn’t sim­ply trav­el around the Unit­ed States though, but went fur­ther afield. In fact, two of our staff flew half way across the world, and spent some time in Mo­roc­co, Egypt, Dubai, Jor­dan, and Turkey. And while most places wel­comed tourists with open arms, two in par­tic­u­lar stood out.

The nicest ho­tel in Africa has got to be the Mena House Oberoi in Cairo. Not on­ly does it have a fan­tas­tic view of the Pyra­mids, but it is the clos­est ho­tel to them. It was orig­i­nal­ly a hunt­ing lodge used by Khe­dive Is­mail, the King of Egypt. The Sphinx is lit­er­al­ly on the oth­er side of the on-site golf course, one of the on­ly ones in Cairo. And the pool is love­ly- heat­ed, large, and with plen­ty of wa­ter fea­tures and foun­tains around it, not to men­tion the wide sun­bathing area. The ho­tel has played host to many fa­mous peo­ple, from Win­ston Churchill to Pres­i­dents Roo­sevelt, Nixon, and Carter and even Char­lie Chap­lin. It al­so played host to the piv­otal peace ne­go­ti­a­tions be­tween Egypt and Is­rael!

We loved our stay there- a few nights was all-too-brief to see even the grounds them­selves and the sur­round­ing area. Egypt was friend­ly, and al­most des­per­ate for tourists, many of whom seem to be stay­ing away from the re­gion be­cause of the gov­ern­men­tal changes. It’s good to be cau­tious- but not a sin­gle tourist was se­ri­ous­ly harmed in the protests, and we saw lit­tle to no sign of any­thing to be wary of. Se­ri­ous­ly, now is the time to vis­it- prices were great, peo­ple were friend­ly, and we were able to climb all over the Pyra­mids with few oth­er tourists in the way of our pic­tures. And we can’t rec­om­mend the Oberoi Mena House high­ly enough- it’s one of the very best ho­tels in the world, with great and help­ful staff, large and clean rooms with love­ly bal­conies, and ev­ery ameni­ty you could imag­ine. Rates start at around 215 eu­ros a night, but we def­i­nite­ly sug­gest pay­ing a bit more for the bal­cony room.

If you find your­self in Is­tan­bul, it can be a bit hard to find evening en­ter­tain­ment. Sure, you can tour the mar­kets- and some of them stay open late. But if you’re tired of shop­ping, and want to ex­plore some­thing fun and a lit­tle cheesy, we’d sug­gest Sul­tana’s Din­ner and 1001 Nights Show. They can pick you up from your ho­tel, and drive you back as well- and in be­tween you get din­ner and (de­pend­ing on your choic­es) un­lim­it­ed drinks. But that isn’t even the best part- af­ter all, what is a din­ner show with­out a show?

This isn’t Cirque du Soleil. But it is clever, fun, and easy to like re­gard­less of your ori­gin, na­tion­al­i­ty, or pro­fi­cien­cy in Turk­ish. Some­what odd­ly, it’s hard to find bel­ly danc­ing in the heart of the for­mer Ot­toman Em­pire, but the dancers at Sul­tana’s are quite good. Some acts are pure whim­sy, and oth­ers are sexy, and there is both a theme and a plot to much of the fes­tiv­i­ties. As you munch on mezze, feast on ke­babs, and nib­ble your sal­ad in a five course meal, you can’t help but laugh at the “Aşuk Maşuk”, a dance where two men use their bel­lies as their faces, and act out a sto­ry of love. At the end, thanks to some au­di­ence par­tic­i­pa­tion, a Sul­tan is crowned- in our case, it in­volved our ed­i­tor com­pet­ing against the crowd in a va­ri­ety of chal­lenges, all for the right to wear the robe and sil­ly hat for a bit. Af­ter the show, comes danc­ing- fun re­gard­less of tal­ent, since it’s like­ly that you’ll find peo­ple from so many places at the show. We met folks from Is­rael, In­dia, Rus­sia, France, Ger­many, and a few oth­er places- each pay­ing the fair­ly rea­son­able 40 or 70 eu­ro, de­pend­ing on your op­tions. To­tal­ly worth it- even for fam­i­lies, and es­pe­cial­ly for a ro­man­tic evening.

Tags: , ,