all 600full-the-terminator-blu--ray-cover

Published on June 14th, 2011 | by Greg

0

The Usual Suspects and Terminator: New on Blu-Ray

When we re­ceived the discs in the mail, our im­me­di­ate im­pres­sion was: weren’t these out al­ready? But, it turns out, they haven’t been re­leased in HD be­fore: two of the best movies of their re­spec­tive years (1984 and 1995) are fi­nal­ly out in high-def­i­ni­tion.

The Usu­al Sus­pects was, with­out a doubt, one of the movies that launched the ca­reers of Kevin Spacey, Bryan Singer, Christo­pher Mc­Quar­rie, and Beni­cio Del Toro in­to the strato­sphere. The Os­car-win­ning screen­play and twist spawned a thou­sand im­i­ta­tors, and if you haven’t seen it, you need to. The plot might not hold to­geth­er that well on re­peat view­ings, but the per­for­mances do.

On Blu-ray, the pic­ture looks far bet­ter than any pre­vi­ous ver­sion we’ve seen. For a movie more than a decade old, skin tones are sharp and col­ors nat­u­ral. We didn’t no­tice any sig­nif­i­cant er­rors in the trans­fer- no ma­jor spots or speck­ling or scratch­es. The DTS sound was al­so good- we’ve seen some mediocre, shal­low re-re­leas­es in the re­cent past, but this wasn’t one of them. It’s an in­die film, so there isn’t a lot of depth there, but on a de­cent 5.1 sound sys­tem you get clear front and de­cent bal­ance. There aren’t a lot of spe­cial fea­tures, sad­ly, and noth­ing ex­clu­sive to see here. In fact, that’s the on­ly dis­ap­point­ing note here- we would’ve loved to see more here than a trail­er. At un­der $10, it’s an amaz­ing deal though.

If a bit more ac­tion is your style, then con­sid­er the James Cameron clas­sic The Ter­mi­na­tor. Per­haps the defini­tive Arnold movie, it may lack the whiz-bang spe­cial ef­fects of the se­quel, but makes up for it with an orig­i­nal sto­ry that con­tin­ues to hold up (and spawn se­quels). Sure, the plot might not be wa­ter-tight, but it’s sci­ence fic­tion with plen­ty of guns and gus­to.

The Blu-ray copy, though, leaves much to be de­sired. Un­like the pre­vi­ous­ly men­tioned trans­fer, this one is poor- it ap­pears to be no bet­ter than the DVD ver­sion on­ly up­scaled. It looks mud­dy, a bit grainy, and cer­tain­ly un­re­stored. Now, it was shot quite a while ago, and was al­most in­tend­ed to be a B-movie- the star and the di­rec­tor weren’t big shots back then, and few saw this as a big-bud­get suc­cess. There are some ar­ti­facts on the video, though it does feel rea­son­ably sharp and bal­anced, it just doesn’t do jus­tice to the high-def­i­ni­tion for­mat. If you own ear­li­er copies, then you aren’t gain­ing much here. The same is ba­si­cal­ly true for the sound- we found it a bit off-putting at times, and weren’t sure why un­til some re­search re­vealed that dif­fer­ent sounds have been in­sert­ed and a bunch of tweak­ing done al­most a decade ago. It feels dat­ed and awk­ward at times, but al­so un­bal­anced. Yes, there is 5.1, and it’s not bad, but lacks punch or feel­ing, ex­cept for some of the score which can sound very good in­deed.

Fi­nal­ly, and al­so dis­ap­point­ing­ly, the spe­cial fea­tures are min­i­mal. None are new, all are in stan­dard def­i­ni­tion, but the delet­ed scenes are in­ter­est­ing and wor­thy of view­ing and the 20 minute ret­ro­spec­tive is amus­ing (if ter­ri­bly out of date). Again, at $10, it’s a cheap buy and per­fect­ly worth the price if you don’t own an­oth­er copy. But we would’ve been hap­py to pay a bit more for a high­er qual­i­ty trans­fer and up­dat­ed bonus fea­tures.

Tags: ,