all whats-your-number-poster

Published on October 3rd, 2011 | by Greg

0

What’s Your Number? Maybe A 7?

Wom­en co­me­di­ans have it tough. Wit­ness An­na Faris- un­de­ni­ably fun­ny, but bound to roles that she could ex­ceed. In her lat­est movie, she doesn’t quite get the chance to take the joke all the way and show us how tal­ent­ed she could be, but she does break out a bit. And thanks to the ex­cel­lent sec­ondary cast of cameo char­ac­ters and the easy charm of Chris Evans, what could have been a rote ro­man­tic com­e­dy is bet­ter than many of it’s male-fo­cused brethren.

What’s Your Num­ber is based on a stur­dy enough gim­mick. Al­ly Dar­ling (yes, re­al­ly) re­al­izes that she’s been sleep­ing around too much, and thanks to her younger sis­ter’s hap­py wed­ding, de­cides to re­con­nect with her var­i­ous ex-boyfriends in a fair­ly thin at­tempt at not go­ing over the “mag­ic num­ber” of 20. The joke is ob­vi­ous at first, but what oth­er re­view­ers seemed to miss is the depth to which Faris cam­ou­flages her­self in her var­i­ous re­la­tion­ships. Sure, the bit where she takes on a British ac­cent that de­volves in­to ‘Bo­rat’ is fun­ny, but so are the blink-and-you’ll-miss-them parts where she turns punk. It isn’t ex­plored as much as it could’ve been, but it al­so isn’t shoved down one’s throat.

The film bal­ances raunchy and ro­man­tic, and the sound­track is de­cent. Boston doesn’t get to serve as more than a pret­ty back­drop, but the movie does show a re­al­is­tic apart­ment. And it makes some un­pre­dictable de­ci­sions on the in­evitable path to an out­come that any­one who has seen Hol­ly­wood cin­e­ma would ex­pect. It won’t change your world or your life, but What’s Your Num­ber is a great date flick. Rat­ed R, in the­aters wide­ly now.

Tags: , ,