all bluevelvet

Published on November 21st, 2011 | by Greg

0

Blue Velvet 25th Anniversary: Smooth Yet Criminal

Fi­nal­ly, a wor­thy ver­sion of this film. Sure, VHS tapes that you could trade like samiz­dat had an ap­peal amongst film geeks a cou­ple of decades ago. But Blu-ray qual­i­ty and size have al­lowed MGM to bring a su­perb trans­fer and so many ex­tras that any fan will be left dazed. David Lynch might not al­ways make sense, but here is your chance to pull back the cur­tain some, thanks to an eight-part doc­u­men­tary (!) that ex­plores char­ac­ters and plot­lines in depth. Of course, that’s paired with an ex­tra 50 min­utes or so of delet­ed footage that adds a lot.

So, what is Blue Vel­vet about? Well, like much of the di­rec­tor’s work, this por­trait is of an Amer­i­can world that is fa­mil­iar and dreamy, but dark and of­ten deeply dis­turb­ing. There’s sweet­ness (Lau­ra Dern, who plays a high school stu­dent), and voyeurism. Den­nis Hop­per of­fers a stel­lar per­for­mance as Frank, a twist­ed sex­u­al mon­ster, who con­trols Is­abel­la Rosseli­ni- and you can’t miss Dean Stock­well in his fair­ly small but fun role. The score is per­fect­ly fit­ting, the cin­e­matog­ra­phy fi­nal­ly able to be ful­ly ap­pre­ci­at­ed.

Blue Vel­vet is beau­ti­ful, haunt­ing, and cer­tain­ly worth a watch. If you al­ready own a copy, this one is defini­tive- the ex­tras, like vi­gnettes and out­takes make for a more whole ex­pe­ri­ence than ear­li­er ver­sions. And if you don’t have one, the 25th An­niver­sary Edi­tion of Blue Vel­vet is worth buy­ing a Blu-ray play­er for. $16, avail­able now on­line and in stores.

Tags: , ,