all slow_wine

Published on February 1st, 2012 | by Greg

0

Slow Wine: A New Type of Guide

Wine crit­i­cism is of­ten sad­ly re­duced to a two dig­it num­ber. And while that might make it sim­ple- like look­ing at the over­all scores on Rot­ten­Toma­toes- it clear­ly masks a com­pli­cat­ed and high­ly sub­jec­tive opin­ion. Some­times, that easy-to-di­gest three star rat­ing ac­tu­al­ly is hid­ing dish­es or wines or el­e­ments that are at the op­po­site ends of the spec­trum. Maybe the ser­vice is five-star, but the food is mediocre.

We like the idea of push­ing be­yond sim­ple nu­mer­i­cal val­ues. De­spite oc­ca­sion­al mis­giv­ings, we con­tin­ue to avoid di­rect rat­ings here. Thus, we def­i­nite­ly ap­prove of the phi­los­o­phy of the new Slow Wine Guide from Slow Food Ed­i­tore.

Orig­i­nal­ly pub­lished in Ital­ian last year, this year marks the de­but of the col­lec­tion in En­glish. Pared down from the larg­er par­ent vol­ume, the En­glish edi­tion fo­cus­es on wines that are avail­able lo­cal­ly, as well as high­lights the best of the best of the 1,800 Ital­ian winer­ies, large and small, that con­sid­er Slow Food prin­ci­ples. There’s even an iPad edi­tion, avail­able from the App Store, which of­fers a lim­it­ed free tri­al ver­sion.

We vis­it­ed with some folks from Slow Food at a re­cent event un­veil­ing the guide and cel­e­brat­ing the En­glish-lan­guage pub­li­ca­tion. And we re­al­ly liked what we heard: a ded­i­ca­tion to qual­i­ty, en­vi­ron­men­tal sus­tain­abil­i­ty, and even price-con­scious­ness. In this guide, there aren’t scores, and in­stead high­light­ed winer­ies and wines in a va­ri­ety of re­gions and price ranges, with clear and con­cise notes. A trio of sym­bols add char­ac­ter- the snail rep­re­sent­ing an em­pha­sis on Slow Food val­ues, a bot­tle for con­sis­tent­ly ex­cel­lent qual­i­ty, and a coin to in­di­cate a great val­ue.

From Bar­bera and Baro­lo to Ver­nac­cia and Verdic­chio, we en­joyed the op­por­tu­ni­ty to try some of the best Italy has to of­fer, and def­i­nite­ly rec­om­mend pick­ing up the Slow Wine Guide 2012. Al­so, if you’re in Chica­go, def­i­nite­ly con­sid­er at­tend­ing the up­com­ing event on Febru­ary 2nd- tick­ets are on sale now for $35 and go­ing quick­ly!

Tags: , ,