all gimme_the_loot

Published on March 15th, 2012 | by Greg

0

SXSW 2012: A Universe of Film And Music

We’ve been post­ing so­cial me­dia up­dates from Austin, Texas, where the South by South­west Fes­ti­val con­tin­ues. There’s been a bit of ev­ery­thing this year, as we’ve en­joyed amaz­ing free shows and fan­tas­tic food, and crowds that are full of in­ter­est­ing peo­ple. Our cov­er­age will con­tin­ue af­ter the show, once we’ve had a chance to pro­cess some of the SXSW In­ter­ac­tive ses­sions.

In the mean­time, though, we want­ed to share the lat­est news on Film, which just an­nounced the 2012 Award Win­ners. And we al­so want­ed to fol­low up our cov­er­age of mu­sic from last year and our wrap-up with a short pre­view of what’s to come this year.

SXSW Film kicked off with Cab­in in the Woods, the up­com­ing film from Joss Whe­don and has con­tin­ued through hun­dreds of fea­ture films and an­i­mat­ed and live ac­tion shorts. In fact, ac­cord­ing to the lat­est press re­lease, the 2012 SXSW Film Fes­ti­val host­ed a to­tal of 132 fea­tures, con­sist­ing of 74 world pre­mieres, 17 North Amer­i­can pre­mieres and 11 U.S. Pre­mieres, with 58 films from first-time di­rec­tors. 138 shorts al­so screened, and there were a record num­ber of over­all sub­mis­sions- over 5,300- a sev­en per­cent in­crease over 2011!

The 2012 SXSW Film Fes­ti­val Award Win­ners in­clud­ed Be­ware of Mr. Bak­er (Ju­ry Award for Doc Fea­ture),Gimme The Loot (Ju­ry / Nar­ra­tive Fea­ture), as well as three Per­for­mance Awards: Jamie Chung for Eden, Besed­ka John­son for Star­let, and Nico Stone for Boost­er. Au­di­ence Awards went to Bay of All Saints and Eden. And we were hap­py to see Bat­tles take their mu­sic video for “My Ma­chines” to an award.

There are many oth­er awards as well, for ev­ery­thing from Ex­cel­lence in Poster De­sign (win­ner: Man & Gun), and even Ti­tle De­sign (win­ner: Les Bleus de Ramville). There are even sev­en oth­er awards for shorts in dif­fer­ent cat­e­gories! The com­plete list can be found on­line, and con­grat­u­la­tions to all of the win­ners!

Fi­nal­ly, this year’s mu­sic line­up is im­mense. A few that you should def­i­nite­ly check out are:

• The Shins - Free river­side show!
  • Di­nosaur Jr. - Af­ter near­ly 30 years, they still rock.
  • No­rah Jones - She’s al­ways amaz­ing live.
  • Fiona Ap­ple - Again, a great voice, and a come­back in the mak­ing.
  • Al­aba­ma Shakes - Three shows mean three chances to catch this soul group.
  • Mag­net­ic Fields - You can’t help but love the com­bi­na­tion of cel­lo, ukulele, acous­tic pi­ano and gui­tar, har­mo­ni­um, and odd­ball synths and toy in­stru­ments.
  • Mi­ike Snow - Huge hits from their de­but al­bum, and a soon-to-be-re­leased fol­low up that we hear is sol­id.
  • Emi­ly Wells - You might not know her, but you should- vo­cal loops, clas­si­cal skills, and se­ri­ous beats.

Tags: , ,