all 8135561

Published on March 21st, 2012 | by Greg

0

Centralia: Real-Life Ghost Town Turned Theater Production (With Cocktails!)

The sto­ry is an in­ter­est­ing one: an Amer­i­can town in Penn­syl­va­nia, pop­u­la­tion 1000, that was whol­ly con­demned. Res­i­dents were or­dered to evac­u­ate, the ZIP code was re­voked by the Post Of­fice, and all prop­er­ties seized un­der em­i­nent do­main. Now, about ten peo­ple re­main, who refuse to leave the area de­spite the dan­gers. What hap­pened pre­cise­ly is a bit of a mys­tery, but it boils down to coal and fire.

Most like­ly, a trash dump was set ablaze, and in­com­plete shield­ing al­lowed the fire to leak through to the rich veins run­ning be­neath the town. Even­tu­al­ly, the prob­lem was no­ticed, and sev­er­al ef­forts to ex­tin­guish the flames end­ed in fail­ure. Sink­holes opened up, car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing be­gan to take it’s toll on the health of the pop­u­la­tion, and $42 mil­lion was al­lo­cat­ed to buy­out the town and re­lo­cate ev­ery­one. Es­ti­mates sug­gest that the fire could con­tin­ue to run for an­oth­er 250 years.

This dra­ma serves as a com­pelling back­drop for a play from Ug­lyRhi­no Pro­duc­tions that has been run­ning at the Brook­lyn Lyceum, ti­tled, sim­ply, Cen­tralia. We caught the per­for­mance last week­end, and it’s def­i­nite­ly worth check­ing out for the last show this Fri­day. Tick­ets run $25 per per­son, and en­try times are stag­gered- you show up be­tween 8 and 8:30 and are led with a group through an ini­tial room and li­ba­tion, then head up­stairs where the main ex­pe­ri­ence takes place. View­ers wan­der at their own pace, catch­ing drinks be­tween each of the five oth­er rooms, each de­vot­ed to a ‘scene’ based around the sto­ries of the peo­ple of Cen­tralia.

The lo­ca­tion it­self is in­ter­est­ing, but ul­ti­mate­ly doesn’t quite work- sounds car­ry over a bit too much from room to room, and in­stead of feel­ing a bit like Cen­tralia, it ends up feel­ing pret­ty much like what it is: a Brook­lyn ware­house. We have to cred­it the ac­tors though, as deal­ing with re­peat­ing the same sketch­es with the fair bit of ex­ter­nal dis­trac­tion must be in­cred­i­bly dif­fi­cult. And most pulled it off, with sol­id char­ac­ters and de­cent en­vi­ron­ments in the rooms them­selves. The scenes are short- five or so min­utes each or less- but a cou­ple were un­ex­pect­ed­ly pow­er­ful. We en­joyed the “non-tra­di­tion­al sto­ry­telling with a so­cial at­mo­sphere”, as it’s fun to talk to oth­er at­ten­dees while wait­ing at the bar. And the drinks were well-con­ceived, of­fer­ing an sol­id menu of var­ied liquors. Re­sults were mixed, as might be ex­pect­ed when thir­ty peo­ple show up at once to an im­pro­vised small bar.

Cen­tralia takes a great con­cept and builds some sol­id char­ac­ters, even if the pro­duc­tion it­self doesn’t quite leave you spell­bound. The in­clud­ed cock­tails are a great touch, and we def­i­nite­ly hope to see more of this sort of sto­ry­telling in the fu­ture. Per­haps a more care­ful cre­ation of sets and lo­ca­tion and cast would serve well, even if the cost was a lit­tle high­er. And judg­ing from the crowd’s re­sponse, there is cer­tain­ly de­mand.

Tags: , , ,