all safe_quad1

Published on April 27th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Safe: Uncompromising Action

Ja­son Statham isn’t sub­tle. In his best roles, like those in the Trans­porter, Crank, or Lock, Stock and Two Smok­ing Bar­rels, he can be min­i­mal­ist, grace­ful, re­strained- but rarely sub­tle. And in his lat­est movie, it’s clear that the film was based around his abil­i­ties, lim­i­ta­tions, and it ends up work­ing out quite well for all in­volved- in­clud­ing the au­di­ence, who gets to see pre­cise­ly what they sign up for. The plot doesn’t make much sense, but the set­up is fun. The MacGuf­fin this time around is a Chi­nese girl with a knack for num­bers, high­ly sought af­ter by mul­ti­ple fac­tions since she is the on­ly one who has mem­o­rized a ridicu­lous­ly sil­ly but valu­able num­ber.

Make sure that you’re ready to set aside your dis­be­lief as you en­ter the movie ‘Safe’. Crooked cops take on Rus­sian mob­sters and Chi­nese tri­ads in a bat­tle to see who can sin­gle­hand­ed­ly bring New York to a halt with sheer gump­tion (not to men­tion plen­ty of vi­o­lence to by­standers). Sur­pris­ing­ly, you ac­tu­al­ly care about the two ma­jor char­ac­ters, and Statham’s Luke Wright has a de­cent back sto­ry built up, far more than is typ­i­cal or even nec­es­sary. And Mei (Cather­ine Chan) pulls off her de­but role like a champ, which makes it a com­pelling show. On the brink of sui­cide, Luke is a dead man walk­ing, ru­in­ing the lives of any­one he be­friends, when he comes across the girl on the run. Car chas­es and a par­tic­u­lar­ly ex­plo­sive scene in a ho­tel en­sue, and there are plen­ty of mo­ments where the au­di­ence can’t help but clap, cheer, or raise they eye­brows and moan “oooo” in uni­son.

Yes, there are some wood­en lines. But there are some fun­ny mo­ments as well, and some clever cin­e­matog­ra­phy. It’s an ac­tion film, not a trea­tise, and we didn’t come out feel­ing par­tic­u­lar­ly en­light­ened- but we cer­tain­ly en­joyed this fair­ly ‘Safe’ ride. In the­aters to­day, wide­ly.

Tags: , ,